Do you remember when children played outside from dawn to dusk? Crime rates were low? Those were the 1950s!
- Dwight D. Eisenhower becomes president in 1953.
- Gas cost only 20 cents gallon.
- The color television set was introduced.
- Smokey the Bear becomes a household name.
- In 1954, the U.S. Supreme Court rules that it is unconstitutional to have racial segregation in public schools.
- Disneyland opens up in California in 1955.
- Otis Elevator installs the first self-service elevator in Dallas.
- Silly Putty was introduced to the world.
- Alaska & Hawaii become the 49th and 50th states to join the United States of America in 1959.
- Pogo sticks and hula-hoops were popular toys in the 50's.
- In 1955, on a public bus in Montgomery, Alabama, a brave woman by the name of Rosa Parks refuses to give up her seat.
- In 1950, "Peanuts" and the Charlie Brown character is born.
- Dr. Jonas Salk develops a vaccine for polio in 1955.
- The first modern credit card was introduced.
- The 1950s were credited with doing the first organ transplant.
If you have pictures of alumni of the Marion classes, please submit them to the Marion School District Web Master.