Do you remember when children played outside from dawn to dusk? Crime rates were low? Those were the 1950s!
- Dwight D. Eisenhower becomes president in 1953.
- Gas cost only 20 cents gallon.
- The color television set was introduced.
- Smokey the Bear becomes a household name.
- In 1954, the U.S. Supreme Court rules that it is unconstitutional to have racial segregation in public schools.
- Disneyland opens up in California in 1955.
- Otis Elevator installs the first self-service elevator in Dallas.
- Silly Putty was introduced to the world.
- Alaska & Hawaii become the 49th and 50th states to join the United States of America in 1959.
- Pogo sticks and hula-hoops were popular toys in the 50's.
- In 1955, on a public bus in Montgomery, Alabama, a brave woman by the
- name of Rosa Parks refuses to give up her seat.
- In 1950, "Peanuts" and the Charlie Brown character is born.
- Dr. Jonas Salk develops a vaccine for polio in 1955.
- The first modern credit card was introduced.
- The 1950s were credited with doing the first organ transplant.
If you have pictures of alumni of the Leroy McNeil classes, please submit them to the Marion School District Web Master.